Your HVAC Marketing goal is to sell single tune-ups, convert those tune-ups to service agreements and generate replacement leads from the single inspection and service agreement tune-ups. You will renew 80% to 90% of your service agreements every year by delivering great value. The life cycle retail value for each tune up you sell is $600 to $700 annual or conservatively $6,000.00 to $7,000.00 over the next 10 years.
Postcards or direct mail can be divided into three major parts.
• The Offer
• The Mail List
The design of a postcard overcomes some of the initial challenges of direct mail. The first challenge is getting the mail opened. Many marketing pieces go to the trash unopened. With a postcard, there is no opening required. The recipient can’t help but see the bright colors of the eye catching headline and graphic.
The second challenge of direct mail is getting the piece read. Professionals advise that the headline must draw the reader into the first sentence. The first sentence must set the hook and motivate the reader to read on. Many readers will skip the body and go to the bottom or PS postscript which is your last chance.
Every postcard should have:
• An uncluttered bold headline. Design should direct the reader’s eye directly to this headline first. Example: “Is your Air Conditioner Leaking Money?”
• A picture or graphic that supports the headline. Example: Picture of an electric meter.
• A Clear font and color that draw your eyes to the headline.
• Any text should have a heading for ease of reading.
• Stress benefits over features. Example: A benefit is saving money and increasing cooling comfort; the feature would be cleaning a condenser.
• Create urgency to call now. Example: This offer expires this week.
• Don’t let your company logo overshadow the headline or benefits.
• Don’t leave the next step to chance. Tell the reader exactly what to do next. A call to action. Example: “Call today” or “Go to www.xxx.com for more information.”
• Always include your name or company name, e-mail, return address, phone number and website. Make sure you have a return address so you get undeliverable cards back.
• If your call to action advises the customer to go to a website, you will need a landing page that will close the sale.
Your offer should result in scheduling a tune-up. You can sell this tune-up at a significant discount or even give it away. You can offer utility discounts. The offer must be attractive and a good offer for the HVAC industry. A benefit too small or too large and unbelievable will not be effective. What can you profitably offer to land a customer that will spend $6,000 to $10,000 in the next 10 years with you?
You can purchase a list from a list company or you can have a company specializing in a turnkey solution supply the entire project. You want to match the demographics of your existing service agreement customers. A good list company can do this for you. Demographics are things like income level, marital status, location, value of home, etc. You want to market to potential customers similar to your existing customers in order to get the best results.
You also want to develop an email list if you don’t have one. This email list will be used for follow-up accessory and replacement sales. Delivery cost for email is very low.
The Business Details
How much does it cost?
• Postcard design: $100 to $200
• Full color postcards: $ .05 to $ .07 each
• Mail list and addressing $.05 each
• Postage: $.21 to $.28
• Web site landing page $300.
This is a business and you want to get a good return on your investment. You can expect a 1% to 2% response rate. That means 1 or 2 tune-ups sold for every 100 postcards you mail. This would represent up to $20,000 in sales over the next 10 years.
You will want to do less of the marketing that doesn’t work and more of the marketing that does work, so you are going to track your results. You can assign a special code or 800 phone number to each postcard campaign and track the results manually or automate the process in Yodle or Infusionsoft.
You should allow one month from the day you pull the trigger to get started to the day you start seeing results.
Call Sammy at: www.Postcardmania.com for a professional turnkey solution.